• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to [email protected] if interested!

mitraglice leggero Scotti M1937

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have any books that discuss that weapon.

Any others have some information?

jbroshot

The only reference I can find to a Scotti LMG is in MILITARY ARMS OF THE 20th CENTURY - 7th Edition, by Ian V. Hogg and John S. Weeks, where there is an entry (but no photograph) for "Machine gun, System Scotti, Model 28" (manufactured by Isotta-Fraschini SpA. Turin)(caliber 7.7mm [303 British]

"The Scotti light machine gun was one of the range of weapons designed by Alfredo Scotti of Brescia. He was a freelance designer associated, for the most part, with the Italian aircraft firms and most of his weapons were intended for use in air warfare, although he also produced some machine guns and a few light guns for infantry use. The pattern of 1928 was the best of his light infantry guns. It utilized the Scotti patent principle of operation, which is a form of locked blowback. Gas is tapped from the barrel and used to unlock the bolt, which is then carried to the rear by residual pressure in the breech. Both belt and drum feed were offered, but the design was not take up by anyone and few were made. The gun is included here because it shows a different approach to the problem of operating the mechanism. In larger form, as a 20mm cannon, the Scotti system was used by the Italian Air Force in World War II.
Length: 42.00in (1068mm). Weight unloaded: 27lb 0oz (12.25kg). Barrel: 25.00in (636mm), 4 grooves, right hand twist. Magazine: 250 round belt. Cyclic rate: 500rds/min. Muzzle velocity: c.2400 ft/sec (731m/sec)."

Granatiere

I think this is different model. It was considered as alternative to Breda M1930.

From other forum:
At the time of it's adoption, in 1930, being the BAR kind of an oddball between the LMGs (sound action, but not very apt to fire in prone position, and without quick barrel change), the only alternative that was really better was the ZB vz.26. It had been tested by the Italian Army, but not adopted, probably for nationalistic considerations. In 1935, at least two better designs were proposed, the Breda PG (similar to the BAR in having a bottom placed magazine and not having a quick barrel change, but with half the weight) and the Mitragliatrice Leggera Scotti (Scotti LMG), with a top feeding magazine similar to the ZB vz.26 / Bren. However, the army choose to not change the service LMG after only 5 years from it's adoption. The Breda PG was not ordered, and only some tens of copies of the the Scotti were used as tank-pattern machine-gun (where the top feeding magazine has obvious space-saving advantages) until they were replaced by the heavier Breda 38.

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
You can PM me.