• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to [email protected] if interested!

Greeks take Vlorë in December 1940, Greco-Italian Armistice?

The Red

I have recently finished reading John Gooch's Mussolini's War where mention is made of Italian fears a military collapse in Albania during the Greek counter-offensive in December, 1940 and Ciano floating the idea of a German mediated truce. I'm not sure of the credbility given to this or whether it was just idle speculation due to the dire circumstances.

Had the Greeks successfully taken the port of Vlorë in December and cut-off Southern Albania subsequently is it possible the Italians and Germans might have sought a diplomatic rather than military solution? If so what might the terms have been? I'm imagining the status quo with a demilitarised Greco-Albanian border; Greece removing any British presence from its territory and possibly joining the Tripartite Pact?

jwsleser

Administrator
Staff member
Difficult question to address. There certainly were fears that the Greeks might succeed in taking Vlorë.

Germany was in no position of offer military support, so a political solution would be likely. Much would depend on how much of the R.E. was still in Albania after the capture of the port. The weaker the Italian forces, the better for the Greeks in asking for terms. However if Vlorë was lost, the Greeks would likely attempt to seize the entire country. That would completely eliminate the Italian threat. If the Greeks couldn't overrun all of Albania, it is difficult to see any agreement that would force Italy out of the country. This would likely lead to a second war sometime later.

Just see quick thoughts.

Pista! Jeff