Comando Supremo: Being Mussolini in 1939, would you invade Albania? - Comando Supremo

Icon Message from the Comando Supremo staff

Follow us now on Twitter!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Being Mussolini in 1939, would you invade Albania?

#1 User is offline   Jim H 

• Administration
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationNaples, Italy

Posted 07 April 2003 - 01:34 AM

Ennio
Unregistered User
(8/16/01 3:40:46 pm)
| Del Occupation of Albania
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Had I been Mussolini, I would have occupied Albania as soon as possible, without waiting for '39. Do you know why the US recently got very heated up with "human rights" in Kosovo? Albania is an oil-rich place! And Mussolini knew it as early as '33. The only oil available to Italy, just 60 Km. away from its shore!

xmaniac
Unregistered User
(8/18/01 9:17:59 pm)
| Del Albania
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was under the impression that the fascist regime decided to invade Albania for geo-strategic reasons. After the German moves into Sudetenland (the consequences of the Munich-treaty), Italy felt it needed to counter any German expansionist movement and try to contend for influence in the region. As for petroleum and Mussolini, wasn't it he who said 'ti ho mandato in Africa per cacciare li Inglesi non per trovare acqua sporca', referring to a report of potentially large oil deposits in the Libyan desert ...

Ennio
Unregistered User
(8/19/01 3:11:37 am)
| Del Of oil and other things
These are Mickey Mouse stories. Mussolini was desperately aware of the total lack of oil supplies available to Italy. He used to say that if sactions against Italy had included oil, Italy would have been brought to its knees in days. The oilfields of Albania were already exploited by AGIP, the Italian Oil Company, but only in '37 their full potential was known. Additionally, with Rumania controlled by the Germans, Albania represented the only potential "free" source of oil available to Italy. Hence the "geopolitic" interest in the whole area. When Germany started meddling too much in the Balkans, gettingcloser and closer to those oilfields, Italy had to act. The geological survey of Lybia was ready in '39, showing great potential, but at the time Italy did not have drilling equipment of the required type. That's why in 1946 Lybia instead of being given back to Turkey was made into a puppet state of BP and EXXON. And still is, Gheddafi or not.

Libralesso
CS Forum Member
(6/19/02 8:47:37 pm)
| Del Invasion: Albania
I also thought it was for strategic reasons but not to counter German expansion but for a staging point to invade Greece. Although I was not aware there was alot of oil in Albania that probably was the reason

#2 Guest_Italiaking7_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 07 April 2003 - 01:36 AM

I think you are wrong. I would have first persuade the British to be allies. Then invade Albania and build up my forces. With the oil I would build up my army and at 1940-2 I would enter the war and would have victory after victory!!!

#3 Guest_JeffreyF_*

Posted 07 April 2003 - 01:36 AM

Afaik it was the British reneging on promises to be quiet about Ethiopia that sent things awry. France had been wooing Italy into it's web of alliances at this point.

#4 Guest_Italiaking7_*

Posted 07 April 2003 - 01:37 AM

I wouldn't even want to join Germany. If Mussolini would have joined France and Britain they would have gained much more than they would have dreamed.

#5 Guest_Lele_*

Posted 07 April 2003 - 01:38 AM

I don't agree,
IMO after 1936 the situation wouldn't allow any possible chance to see Brits allied
with us...

#6 Guest_Italiaking7_*

Posted 07 April 2003 - 01:38 AM

He could have tried to rebuild relations or not invade Ethiopia at all.

#7 User is offline   @Reazzurro90 

• Aspirante Ufficiale
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 May 2003 - 08:10 PM

Being Mussolini, I would have invaded Albania much earlier than 1939.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic