Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Questions About Tropical M40

#1 User is offline   Coati 

• Soldato
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:25 AM

Hello all, Iím working on sewing the uniform of a Bersaglieri soldato serving in north Africa and I have some questions regarding the tropical M40 tunic and pantaloni.
Does the tropical M40 tunic have belt loops like the wool M40? What does the back panel look like, plain like a tedeschy tunic, one seam, or pleats like on the wool M40 or the ones found on the pullover colonial tunics?
I have seen several pantaloons with V shaped gaps at the rear, but also many with a plain waist band (e.g the ones ANT-Z reproduces), whatís the difference between them, different models? And Iíve seen pantaloons with pocket slits in the side seams, vertical slits and slanted pocket slits, which is accurate?
Are the shoulder straps on the tropical M40 sewn in or detachable? Also, how long is the equipment neck strap? Any information or detailed photos of the M40 tunic and pantaloni would be deeply appreciated, and I apologize for asking so many questions in my first post.

#2 User is offline   sergemaster 

• 2004-2010
  • LocationWild, Wild, West, New Jersey

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:13 PM

Ciao Coati,
My best advice wouldbe to pick up a copy of "Mussolini's Soldiers" by Rex Trye and study the photographs he has included. Besides that, try youtube and again study the old films of LUCE from the period to get a better understanding on the tailoring of the uniforms.

But to answer your question, tropical M40's were made pretty much in the same style as the continental M40, just using lightweight cotton instead of wool. Hope this helps..

A NOI!!
SERGEMASTER

SENTIRE - PENSARE - VOLERE

#3 User is offline   Jeff Leser 

• Staff
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationLeavenworth, KS

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:13 PM

I have not handled an original set of colonial M40s. I do have a modern set made by Remo at Sartoria Equipe. As I have a very high regard for his research, I will answer based on his reproduction. Like all Italian uniforms, there can be many modifications to the basic pattern.

1) Does the tropical M40 tunic have belt loops like the wool M40?

No

2) What does the back panel look like, plain like a tedeschy tunic, one seam, or pleats like on the wool M40 or the ones found on the pullover colonial tunics?

Same as the continental M40s, single seam down the center. No pleats or vents, but a tailored waist. No hunter pockets. Front pocket flaps are straight, not scalloped. Note the continental M40 doesnít have pleats on the back. You might be thinking of the M41.

3)I have seen several pantaloons with V shaped gaps at the rear, but also many with a plain waist band (e.g the ones ANT-Z reproduces), whatís the difference between them, different models?

The vee split in the rear (with a strap and buckle for adjustment) is the early design carried over from 1GM. This design didnít use a belt or suspenders. Of course, soldiers and unit tailors could (and did) modify the pantaloni for belts and suspenders. The later style eliminates the vee and adjusting strap and uses a belt to hold the pantaloni up.

4) And Iíve seen pantaloons with pocket slits in the side seams, vertical slits and slanted pocket slits, which is accurate?

Vertical pockets set in the side seam of the pant. Horizontal pockets on the buttocks (rear). The slanted style pockets are correct for the M41 paracadustisti pantaloni, but not the M40.

5) Are the shoulder straps on the tropical M40 sewn in or detachable?

Sewn on like the continental M40.

6) Also, how long is the equipment neck strap?

Mine are about 106-108cm long.

Pista!

Jeff
btg. sciatori Alpini ę Monte Cervino Ľ (reenacted)
19į reggimento fanteria ę Brescia Ľ (reenacted)

#4 User is offline   Coati 

• Soldato

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:21 AM

Sorry for not responding earlier, my video card died out on me. Thank you very much for your replies, I hadnít thought of looking through the LUCE broadcasts. I thought the tropical M40 had scalloped flaps, as illustrated in the Osprey Men-at-Arms book (although I'm aware there are inaccuracies in it), I also thought the plain pocket flaps, as well as the pointed cuffs were only found on the colonial M35 tunic and a few other continental tunics. Also, judging from photographs, the seam on the back of the continental M40 stops somewhere below the middle, and the fabric below is folded together to make an inverted pleat, sewn closed at the bottom.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users