• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Likely Partigiano Arma Call for Suggestions

#1 User is offline   l'anziano partigiano 

• Maresciallo Ordinario
  • Group: Members
  • LocationAlbuquerque

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:22 PM

I'm looking to arm myself as a partigiano at an "entry level" cost (to maintain domestic tranquility).

Availability of blank ammo is very important as is a desire to not have to make major/expensive mods.

Seems like a bolt action is the way to go.

Suggestions?

Grazie in anticipo!

-Blaine
Blaine
Nome di battaglia <<Castoro>>
Albuquerque, NM USA

#2 User is offline   Lorenzo 

• Caporale Maggiore
  • LocationImperia - Italy

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:14 PM

As an Italian Partigiano you have a wide range of guns in which you can choose your one, either bolt actions rifles or submachine guns.

Bolt Action rifles:
Carcano 91 ( all series) and Vetterli; Kar 98K; MAS36; Lee-Enfield No. 4 ; Mosin Nagant , Springfield 03

Semi Auto:
Winchester M1 – Garand M1

Submachines:
Beretta MAB 38 and 38/42, Sten MKII, MP40, Thompson, Ppsh 41

These are the most used, but there were many other guns used by Italian partisans.

Hope it helps. B)

Ciao
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."
Sherlock Holmes in The Sign of the Four

#3 User is offline   Lupo Solitario 

• Staff
  • Group: Moderators
  • Locationitaly

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:53 PM

View Postl, on 20 March 2011 - 08:22 PM, said:

I'm looking to arm myself as a partigiano at an "entry level" cost (to maintain domestic tranquility).

Availability of blank ammo is very important as is adesire to not have to make major/expensive mods.

Seems like a bolt action is the way to go.

Suggestions?

Grazie in anticipo!

-Blaine

oh well, practically...whichever!

Anyway, going for "probablility", I'd tell the order is:

1) Italian army regular stuff, mainly Carcano '91 or Beretta 38 SMG, rare LMG or HMG
2) German stuff, mainly Kar 98K or MP40, rare other
3) British automatic weapons, as Sten or Bren
4) Everything else almost rare
melius esse quam videri

#4 User is offline   l'anziano partigiano 

• Maresciallo Ordinario
  • LocationAlbuquerque

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:58 PM

Tante grazie a tutti e due!

My first thoughts did turn to my M-1 Carbine, but I wasn't sure how I felt about making the necessary mods (and the group sponsoring this summer's "March on Rome" event left them off the partigano list (funny, the Carcano wasn't on their list either) - I suppose that while there's a precedent for everything, one shouldn't stress the 'authorities' with corner-case weaponry on one's first outing.

My collega di riparto is bringing his recently acquired Vetterli (his latest interest is the "Great War").

Can anyone speak to the blank ammo question (e.g., what's readily available for the 6.5 Carcano)? Meanwhile, I'll try a few more searches of the archives in case I missed something.

And if I have any spare time there's certainly a few 'Canti Partigiani' to learn before summer!

-Blaine
Blaine
Albuquerque, NM USA

#5 User is offline   Hunter 

• Maresciallo Capo
  • LocationState of Jefferson. (N. California)

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:19 AM

View Postl, on 22 March 2011 - 11:58 PM, said:

Tante grazie a tutti e due!

My first thoughts did turn to my M-1 Carbine, but I wasn't sure how I felt about making the necessary mods (and the group sponsoring this summer's "March on Rome" event left them off the partigano list (funny, the Carcano wasn't on their list either) - I suppose that while there's a precedent for everything, one shouldn't stress the 'authorities' with corner-case weaponry on one's first outing.

My collega di riparto is bringing his recently acquired Vetterli (his latest interest is the "Great War").

Can anyone speak to the blank ammo question (e.g., what's readily available for the 6.5 Carcano)? Meanwhile, I'll try a few more searches of the archives in case I missed something.

And if I have any spare time there's certainly a few 'Canti Partigiani' to learn before summer!

-Blaine

The only source I know for 6.5 Carcano is Joe Swanson Blanks he has both long and short types. Its a little pricey but well worth it.
http://www.joeswanso...tureblanks.com/

Another good source for blanks but I dont believe he carries Carcano though I cant imagine it would hurt to ask, though I have been wrong here before it it may indeed hurt, but Atlantic Wall Blanks is a place I have had good experiences with.
http://www.atlanticwallblanks.com/

Hope this helps.

#6 User is offline   l'anziano partigiano 

• Maresciallo Ordinario
  • LocationAlbuquerque

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:15 PM

Thanks, Hunter!

Just to report back, AtlanticWall lists them but the link is somewhat in mufti (no mention of Carcano 'till you arrive at the detail page).

Listed price is $40/100

-bb
Blaine
Albuquerque, NM USA

#7 User is offline   Lorenzo 

• Caporale Maggiore

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:20 PM

Partigiano, Is your avatar an “Orvieto” painting? :)
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

#8 User is offline   l'anziano partigiano 

• Maresciallo Ordinario
  • LocationAlbuquerque

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:52 AM

View PostLorenzo, on 23 March 2011 - 11:20 PM, said:

Partigiano, Is your avatar an “Orvieto” painting? :)

Not sure - its part of a poster comemorating the saving of the Galleria Sempione - seen here:

http://www.blainestr.../partigiani.jpg
Blaine
Albuquerque, NM USA

#9 User is offline   Lorenzo 

• Caporale Maggiore

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:18 PM

I can’t understand the poster’s signature however it’s a nice avatar! B)
Uh, I forgot to include in my list of Partigiano’s guns the submachine U.S. M3 grease gun.
It wasn’t common but it was used too!

Ciao

#10 User is offline   l'anziano partigiano 

• Maresciallo Ordinario
  • LocationAlbuquerque

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:13 AM

View PostLorenzo, on 26 March 2011 - 10:18 PM, said:

Uh, I forgot to include in my list of Partigiano’s guns the submachine U.S. M3 grease gun.
It wasn’t common but it was used too!

Ciao

Grazie Lorenzo!

Mio padre ne portava una durante il suo soggiorno in Corea (poco dopo l'armistizio) e mi diceva che fu particolarmente utile per sparare un grattacielo (da giu in su) - ma in Corea dei grattacieli non ne avevamo in quei tempi.

One thing about the Grease Gun that I didn't know until a television program a couple of years ago was that new from the factory they (occasionally/often/always) were shipped with an extra barrel/mechanism/magazine adaptor that allowed easy conversion to fire 9mm ammo. IIRC, on the program they opened a never-before-opened crate containing an M3 with the extra parts included. Pretty cool.

-bb
Blaine
Albuquerque, NM USA

#11 User is offline   Lorenzo 

• Caporale Maggiore

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:48 PM

View Postl, on 27 March 2011 - 01:13 AM, said:

One thing about the Grease Gun that I didn't know until a television program a couple of years ago was that new from the factory they (occasionally/often/alwasy) were shipped with an extra barrel/mechanism/magazine adaptor that allowed easy conversion to fire 9mm ammo. IIRC, on the program they opened a never-before-opened crate containing an M3 with the extra parts included. Pretty cool.

Wow that’s quite interesting!
I’ve heard stories of partisans who used American/British guns with German ammos, and often I wondered how they managed that ! :blink:
Also I know for sure that the USA ammo factories produced a large quantity of ammos in German calibers to be launched to the partisans. I have a 1943’s 7.92 X 57 case produced by Peters Cartridge Co. Ohio.

Partigiano I hope you enjoy this video I’ve found on youtube...
There are many good images of Italian partisans except the last one which represent a RSI’s girl, (the video author admitted his mistake.. :rolleyes: )
Take a look at the several types of guns!

#12 User is offline   l'anziano partigiano 

• Maresciallo Ordinario
  • LocationAlbuquerque

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:17 PM

Lorenzo-

Grazie per il link. Bella canzone!

All-

I received a very rough Carcano Fucile Corto on Friday; the stock seems to have been used to pound tent pegs or break rocks. I've disassembled it, cleaned a half-inch plug out of the bore, and cleaned and lightly sanded the stock.

The only missing parts are the upper sling swivel and the screw that attaches it (and holds the handguard in place). These seem to be hard-to-find parts, so any info/assistance will be greatly appreciated!
Blaine
Albuquerque, NM USA

#13 User is offline   l'anziano partigiano 

• Maresciallo Ordinario
  • LocationAlbuquerque

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:25 PM

View Postl, on 23 March 2011 - 09:15 PM, said:

Thanks, Hunter!

Just to report back, AtlanticWall lists them but the link is somewhat in mufti (no mention of Carcano 'till you arrive at the detail page).

Listed price is $40/100

-bb

I need to correct this...

Atlantic Wall DOES NOT have Carcano blanks. They are hoping to have a conversion kit by end of year that will allow the use of 7.62x39 blanks.

-Blaine
Blaine
Albuquerque, NM USA

#14 User is offline   Hunter 

• Maresciallo Capo

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

http://www.comandosu...no-carbine-m91/

#15 User is offline   l'anziano partigiano 

• Maresciallo Ordinario
  • LocationAlbuquerque

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:44 AM

View PostHunter, on 04 April 2011 - 05:14 PM, said:

Still coming up empty - the front swivel is turning out to be the Carcano's rarest part. But there's time to keep looking.

I glued and brass-pinned the gnarly crack along the right side of the action - I'm contemplating an additional bit of strengthing perhaps by wrapping some stout cord around the area (ahead of the action) - a sort of battlefield expediency repair. I'm open to the idea that $99 was too much to pay for this derelict, but happily the serial number on the barrel matches that penciled in (in distinctive and familiar Italian printing) on the inside of the stock. Definitely good enough for a guy on a budget who is likely to attend only one such event in a year.

FYI, Birchwood-Casey's "Super Blue" cold liquid gun bluing worked very well at rebluing the worn steel barrel, bands, butt plate, and trigger guard.

-Blaine
Blaine
Albuquerque, NM USA

#16 User is offline   Hunter 

• Maresciallo Capo

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:15 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2c5bd3ccad

This what you are after?

#17 User is offline   l'anziano partigiano 

• Maresciallo Ordinario
  • LocationAlbuquerque

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:01 AM

View PostHunter, on 06 April 2011 - 11:15 AM, said:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2c5bd3ccad

This what you are after?

I did see that yesterday and I'm watching it, though it's a bit different than what was evidently on this gun (no swivel underneath). Here's a pic from a long ended auction showing the exact item:

But beggars can't be choosers!
Blaine
Albuquerque, NM USA

#18 User is offline   Jeff Leser 

• Staff
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationLeavenworth, KS

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:33 PM

Blaine

That Ebay item in the link provided by Hunter is for a M41, not a M38. Now the screw itself is for a M38.

Yes, the front band/swivel is hard to find, but there have been several on Ebay in the last few weeks. Keep looking.

Pista!

Jeff
btg. sciatori Alpini « Monte Cervino » (reenacted)
19° reggimento fanteria « Brescia » (reenacted)

#19 User is offline   sgtbrown 

• Maresciallo Maggiore
  • LocationNE Ohio

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:57 PM

View Postl, on 27 March 2011 - 01:13 AM, said:

One thing about the Grease Gun that I didn't know until a television program a couple of years ago was that new from the factory they (occasionally/often/alwasy) were shipped with an extra barrel/mechanism/magazine adaptor that allowed easy conversion to fire 9mm ammo. IIRC, on the program they opened a never-before-opened crate containing an M3 with the extra parts included. Pretty cool.
-bb

I thought this was interesting so I posted it on the US Militaria Forum to see if any one had any more information. I got this back:

"Yes, these US mfg'd & issued "9mm Conversion Kits" were indeed provided to, & used by certain allied partisan units within the ETO & MTO areas. I believe they were mfg'd in the US by the Guide Lamp Division of General Motors Corp., & originally produced at the request of the US OSS. It was thought that these kits would allow US Operatives & or Partisans to utilize the easily available German 9mm ammunition, along with the also readily available 32 rd. 9mm STEN Magazines. The kit consisted of a 9mm replacement BOLT w/ Recoil Springs. 9mm BARREL, 9mm MAGAZINE WELL ADAPTER, all packaged in a small paper packet, & or cardboard box. This kit MAY have also contained a 9mm U.K. STEN SMG Magazine, although I'm not positive they were included in the kit as issued. From what I've been able to discern, these kits did indeed work properly, & successfully fulfilled their intended role on the battlefield. From the number of complete kits, & or assorted components found today, it appears as if the total number of kits actually produced was somewhat limited. I hope this brief overview has been of assistance to you."

Not that earth-shatteringly important but an interesting factoid.

Tom
"The German is like the June bride. He knows he is going to get it; he just doesn't know how big it will be." General Richard "Windy" Gale to the 6th Paras just prior to D-Day

#20 User is offline   l'anziano partigiano 

• Maresciallo Ordinario
  • LocationAlbuquerque

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:50 AM

I had a snapshot taken over the weekend - it's on my profile page. The Carcano came out pretty good. Used a bottle of cold bluing to refinish all of the steel parts; repaired the stock, cleaned it up, and sealed it.
Blaine
Albuquerque, NM USA

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic