• You cannot reply to this topic

3-pouch Beretta "cavalry" bandolier

#1 User is offline   Saetta 

• Colonnello
  • Group: Members
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:27 AM

Hello all,

I have a few questions regarding the 3-pouch beretta bandolier. I purchased one off ebay a while back and it wasn't until recently that I had a friend help in try to figure out how it is used. I know that it is designed to hold M1934 beretta ammo, but since the pouches are too small to hold a magazine, we determined it was for stripper clips.

a)So first, I'm wondering if thats possible, or if it just holds the individual bullets

I found online this bandolier which doesn't have the pouches, it is just slits to hold the individual bullets:
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5597/b ... w11pg2.jpg
My model doesn't have that. When I get home I can take more detailed photos

b) My other question is how many versions of wartime Bandoleer's were developed? (I'm guessing they were through a period of many years, so I would imagine bandoleers developed in say the First World War could have been used in WW2.

c) Maybe each bandoleer was for a different weapon, ie: carcano bandoleer, M1934 beretta bandoleer (w/stripper clips?), others?

d) Cavalry Bandoleer: Was the "cavalry bandoleer's issued only to cavalry units, was it only officers who got them, or anyone with a beretta?

I realize these questions are unclear, when I go home I can take more detailed pictures of mine and compare it to the image above, but any thoughts and help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   supermario 

• Generale di Corpo d'Armata
  • Locationunited kingdom

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:05 AM

Chris,

I'll help where i can.

Ok, the Image shack picture you linked to is a bandolier for the Glisenti revolver. Hence the individual pouches for each cartridge.

Stripper clips were used for the Beretta, and anyone correct me if i'm wrong, each clip i think held 9 rounds. The clips them selves are hard to come by, but modern british 5.56 clips are practically identical and current with British armed forces and hold 9mm rounds wonderfully (Base of cartridge size for 5.56 is the same as 9mm)

As for issuemesnt, then i think the Beretta bandoliers were issued only to officers and some NCO's in 'Mounted' units. This includes tanks, Armoured cars and Artillery.

Hope that helps, and other more learned people will add i'm sure. :D

Neil
MAI DAUR !!!

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Saetta 

• Colonnello
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:20 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Neil! If anybody has any photos I would like to see what these stripper clips look like or a possible place to get them?

Wehermacht awards has a great discussion about the same topic:
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... 742&page=2

An interesting image further down the page
http://img229.images...i/reit5jx2.jpg/

Chris
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users