Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Paracadutisti uniform help

#1 User is offline   CptJericho 

• Soldato
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:52 PM

Can someone help me with a paracadutisti impression, like a list of things I need?

#2 User is offline   Gian 

• Primo Maresciallo dell Impero
  • LocationItaly and Florida

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:00 AM

Pre or post '43?

#3 User is offline   CptJericho 

• Soldato

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:34 PM

Pre 43

#4 User is offline   Gian 

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:47 AM

Here's a few items for a Folgore impression:

M42 grigioverde (g.v.) repro helmet.
Camo helmet cover.
M41 or M42 g.v. or tropical uniform.
G.v. jump smock (Camo version was issued from Sept. '42).
Jump boots (Pegasus Militaria makes them).
Carcano "cavalry" carbine+M1909 webbing, or alternatively a Beretta MAB submachine gun+webbing.
Beretta 34 handgun+Sam Browne belt.
SRCM hand grenades.
M35 Dagger.
Sun and sand goggles.
Knee and elbow pads.
Jump gloves
Leather sandals.

Note that the above differs from an ADRA (Air Force commandos) uniform in some details. As the war progressed, they also tended to use captured equipment such as Tommy guns, British KD uniforms ad boots.

Here are a few pics too:
http://www.worldwar....dutisti-1940-43

#5 User is offline   Jeff Leser 

• Staff
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationLeavenworth, KS

Posted 29 March 2010 - 02:44 PM

CptJericho

There are two basic pre 43 paracadutisti impressions, Folgore and Nembo. Others (historically limited) are the btg. carabinieri paracadutisti and ADRA. Of the four, the carbinieri is the easiest to assemble at this time.
Wehrmacht Awards Forum (WAF) has two good threads on Italian para uniforms and equipment:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... p?t=251718

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/ ... p?t=253435

Main difference that drives the assembly of an impression is the weapon. Carbinieri and Folgore mainly used the Carcano moschetto di cavalleria, while the Nembo and ADRA used the MAB 38A. Carbinieri used the common M1909 leather gear (belt, ammo pouches, etc.). Folgore used a special webbing set, while Nembo/ADRA used the MAB guitar and samurai pouches. Folgore had a limited number of MABs, so it is an option.

For uniforms, the carbinieri used the standard issued colonial uniform; the Folgore used the colonial M41 uniform; the Nembo the continental M41 uniform. The ADRA, being Air Force, might have some differences from Nembo. All used para helmets, jump smocks (grey for Carabinei and Folgore, camo for Nembo/ADRA), and jump boots.
Given the availability of web gear, the Carbinieri (using standard infantry items) is the easiest to assemble. The Mediterraneo group in the UK has made an initial run of the Folgore webbing. They are considering making a second run, and the webbing is well worth getting. With the web gear, a Folgore impression is easier to acquire.

Gian has provided a basic list of items. Note that each Italian para unit is unique in uniform and insignia. You need to decide which unit you are portraying before you buy. Once you know the unit, members here can help steer you to the correct items for that impression.

Pista!

Jeff
btg. sciatori Alpini Monte Cervino (reenacted)
19 reggimento fanteria Brescia (reenacted)

#6 User is offline   glenning 

• Primo Capitano
  • LocationSweden

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:30 AM

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I need your opinion guys..
I'm working on a RSI para NCO impression and I need som help;

Should I use a) or b) for the beret?
Posted Image

for the sleeve; a) or b)?
Posted Image

Grazie!

#7 User is offline   supermario 

• Generale di Corpo d'Armata
  • Locationunited kingdom

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:23 PM

Glenning,

For the Beret, B.

For the Sleeve, A.

As for Folgore Impressions, obviously there are now quite a few people looking at this. As Jeff says, i have made a run on Webbing, and am looking at starting a second run. I know roughly who wants a set, as these have been pre ordered some time ago, but if others want a set too, please PM me.

Boots will be the hardest part to obtain (As well as the smock, but we're working on it. :wink: ).

However, as a heads up, there are boots similar to the WW2 Italian para boot that ,for the interim, may surfice. Dutch Para boots, dyed black (Italian Para boots were black only) are close, but recently, and thanks to one of the guys in the group ,Fabrizio, we were shown a pair of 1980's Carabineri boots. They are extremely close, minus the crescent moon toe cap, but this could be added at any good cobblers shop.

As for Repro uniforms, you have Three choices.
1 is Chen, who is contactable via Hessian for the US nationals, but thia his website for outside the US (Doesn't that all seem so isolationist??? :D )
2 is Remo. The fabric is good, however, my only comment is the lenght of the Jacket body. It seems a little short.

3 Pegasus. Material is heavy, so is hard wearing, but possibly impractical for combat. However, These uniforms are absolutely to style and cut to WW2 originals.

For Insignia, i would always point people to Folgoreshop on Ebay. Best repros around. Filatelica has a good range, but the Para qual badges are a little hit and miss for me.

Hope that helps.

Neil
MAI DAUR !!!

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   glenning 

• Primo Capitano
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:53 PM

Grazie supermario!

Yes, the boots seems to be the hardest part of the impression. I'll have to look out for a pair of Carabinieri ones! 8)

#9 User is offline   supermario 

• Locationunited kingdom

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:15 AM

Here are afew pictures of reproduction uniforms as a guide.

Posted Image

Complete repro uniform. The Smock is one made by steve Kiddle some years ago, and we have been fortunate enough to get two of them. However, we don't know if there are any more available. Of note though is the colour of the green patches. They are too dark, but until we can get a decent repro made, this will suffice for the moment.

Posted Image

General Folgore look.

Posted Image

In this photo, there are four different unfiroms made by four different manufacturers. left is Sartoria Equipe, next left is Pegasus, 2nd from right is an uknown Seamstress in the UK and the far right one is an unknown manufacturer in Germany.

Posted Image

One more of the Smocks we managed to get.

Posted Image

An original smock held in storage with the Imperial War Museum since 1946. Note the colour of the green patches. This is not a faded smock, it was taken from its owner extremely quickly in 1943 (A member of the ADRA) and held as a trophy by the British Infantry unit that captured him. It is in 100% mint condition and is actually a large jump smock, size '1'.

Neil

Neil
MAI DAUR !!!

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   glenning 

• Primo Capitano
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

How common was the M41 with exposed buttons with Italian army para's after 1943?
I'm especially interested to know if Nembo wore them at Anzio. Any pics would be highly appreciated! :)

EDIT: I got my answer from para-guru Paolo Marzetti! :wink:

#11 User is offline   glenning 

• Primo Capitano
  • LocationSweden

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:56 AM

My Nembo impression so far, Italy, summer 1944;

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   glenning 

• Primo Capitano
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:29 PM

I guess I could use this one as well for a Nembo NCO impression?

http://cgi.ebay.it/ADRA-fregio-da-basco ... lezionismo

#13 User is offline   supermario 

• Locationunited kingdom

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

Glenning,

Sorry for the delay, but that is an officers Nembo capbadge. Certainly not an ADRA cap badge as described. One option is to get a Regular NCO Paracadutisti cap badge from special store or caps-for-you off ebay and cut off the crown. This was certainly done during the RSI period.

As yet, what repro's that are available, this would be your best option. I want to make an ADRA impression, and have managed to get a set of Mostrine and a very poor repro RA cap badge. However, i seek the red eagle capbadge produced for NCO's for the RA. Looks like i'll have to get the embroidery ring out to make one my self. Bah!

Neil
MAI DAUR !!!

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   mauser98 

• Maresciallo Maggiore
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:36 PM

Neil,
Hope all is well with you and Steve. I see in your photos that you have a number of Red Devil grenades in your pouches. Do you have a source for them? The only ones available I've seen so far are resin castings (which aren't bad- but solid none the less)

Thanks,
Jim

#15 User is offline   larrusso 

• Primo Capitano

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:02 PM

We recently got 4 yellow smoke grenades at Detling last week,
Resin grenades are being made at present.
Mike

#16 User is offline   Gian 

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:15 PM

ADRA were part of the Air Force. So why does the smock have an Army "Sottotenente" rank device??

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic