• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to [email protected] if interested!

Italian Generals in North Africa and their fate - Nov. 41

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:47 PM by Andreas

I have a post here on the fate of the German generals during the winter battle 1941/42.

The Crusader Project

The only Italian general I am certain about is de Giorgis, who became POW when he surrendered Sollum/Halfaya (Italian-bashing aside: in a wartime publication on CRUSADER, the author claims the determined resistance at Sollum/Halfaya was because the all the Axis forces in the sector were commanded by Major Bach).

I know General Piassoni, CO 10th Corps was injured in an accident on 21 December (broken ankle) and was replaced by General Assi.

Does anyone know if there were further casualties on the side of the Italian generals?

Many thanks in advance.

All the best

_

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:28 AM by FB

If memory serves me a little bit still, I'd say that the two mentioned generals were Piazzoni and Azzi.

I don't know about their fate, though.

Best regards

___

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:52 PM by Andreas

It's the German transliteration, I guess in the 40s "zz" was changed to "ss".

Thanks for pointing that out!

All the best

Andreas

___

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:47 PM by FB

You are welcome, Andreas. And sorrry if I was nitpicking with your post, but I thought it would have been better to have the names written down correctly so that others can hopefully come to you with the desired infos.

Best regards

____

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:43 PM by Steen Ammentorp

Well,

Brigadier-General Giulio Borsarelli di Rifredo died on the 22nd November 1941 in Libya, but I don't know the circumstances. A photo of him at: Borsarelli di Rifredo, Giulio

Generals Azzi and Piazzoni both survived the war. See their entries at my site. Strangely I have no info on them being CO X Corps. Does anyone have additional info?
_

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:26 PM by Andreas

Both may only have been in command temporarily during the retreat.

Many thanks for the other info Steen!

All the best

Andreas
____

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:54 PM by dor1941

Regarding Borsarelli, Montanari described the situation of Divisione Trento on December 13-16, 1941 by its commander De Stefanis as it was being attacked by the Polish Carpathian Brigade Southwest of Gazala:
"Alle 16 il gen. De Stefanis comunico a Navarini che la Trento stava indietreggiando di fronte ad uno sforzo concentrato di fanteria e carri della brigata polacca (il gen. Borsarelli, vicecomandante della divisione, era caduto mortalmente ferito). Un altro contrattacco riportava la situazione in equilibrio, ma si trattava di equilibrio instabile."
(Le Operazioni in Africa Settentrionale, Vol. II-Tobruk, p. 689 [2nd Ed.])

The passage appears to report that Borsarelli had "fallen mortally wounded" on or about December 16th while engaged with the Polish brigade instead of on November 22nd, but Montanari does not give the precise date of his death.

David R

__

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:49 PM by Andreas

On reflection, your date of 22 November cannot be right, since Trento was not in contact with the Polish Brigade at the time.

Good thing you found a picture of de Giorgis by the way, this confirmed his Knights Cross!

All the best

Andreas

____

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:25 PM by Voloire

Gen. Ferrari Orsi, co of X C.A., dieBritishbritish mine camp.
Ferrari Orsi, Federico