Follow us now on Twitter!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Folgore uniform at El ALamein

#1 User is offline   gbotto 

• Group: Members

Posted 12 December 2003 - 12:33 AM

a person at another forum is trying to tell me that the Folgore wore standard Italian uniforms at EL Alamein

Isn't this wrong? They wore unique uniforms and jump helmets correct?

#2 User is offline   Arditi 

• Primo Maresciallo dell Impero
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 12 December 2003 - 02:58 AM

Hi,
The photo documentation of the Folgore, in Africa, show them wearing tropical uniforms, tropical sun-helmets and para helmets. I have seen many photos of Italians soldiers, in Africa, wearing tropical as well as wool/continental items mixed together...but all the pictures I have seen of captured Folgore and operating Folgore...all had tropical items. I suppose it is possible they had some continental items with them as well, but I did not see this in the photos I perused. Hope this helps a little. Arditi http://www.arditi43.com

#3 User is offline   gbotto 

Posted 12 December 2003 - 03:24 AM

What of this uniforms?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Barbarigo 

• Staff
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationLegnano (MI) - Italy

Posted 12 December 2003 - 07:30 AM

Folgore worn M1941 uniform (in kaki colour) with its special helmet (painted in sand). Look at the table.
There are photos where you can see Paratroopers wearing tropical shorts and skirt with colonial helmet.
Paolino

Attached File(s)

"We are one equal temper of heroic heart, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yield"

#5 User is offline   pg 

• LocationCumbria, U.K.

Posted 12 December 2003 - 12:56 PM

I know that the high command tried to disguise the fact that they were paratroops and made them take off their 'wings' (source....'war without hate' by Bierman and Smith. Which contains a fair bit of info, personal stories and high praise for the Folgore)

#6 User is offline   Arditi 

• Primo Maresciallo dell Impero
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 12 December 2003 - 02:51 PM

Hi Gbotto,
In the photos you provide the paratroopers appear to be wearing their jump smocks(camouflaged) and their tropical(Khaki) baggy pants. I do not believe that the paras in Africa wore their jump smocks in the eastern desert into combat. This was probably a publicity photo...just a guess. I have seen photos of para's in Africa in short sleeve order. That meaning, it was so hot, that they only wore their khaki undershirt and not their tunic. There is a photo in Rex Trye's book of a para manning an anti-tank gun with a khaki shirt on and a para helmet with camouflage cover on it. He has a cigar hanging from his mouth and is looking intently at his target. Cool photo. The Italians made a jump or two into Algeria to sabotage and confuse the enemy. I wonder if they wore continental wear in that action? I know they wore jump smocks. gBotto, I have an interest in Italian para's and try to collect militaria/artifacts from this brave corps. Eventually, I want to put these artifacts onto my webpage. I have an Italian para helmet that I prize. Interesting question you raise.
Saluti, Arditi http://www.arditi43.com :D

#7 User is offline   Dominick 

• Primo Capitano
  • LocationLA, California

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:22 AM

I have a question to this, Why would the high command wish to disguise the fact that these men were paratroopers? If you ave any information on this, it would be helpful.
Thanks Dominick

#8 User is offline   pg 

• LocationCumbria, U.K.

Posted 14 December 2003 - 11:50 AM

They tried to disguise it as they didnt want the allies realising the Italians had given up on the idea of an airbourne assault on Malta. The Folgore had been sat in Italy waiting to do just that for some time. The first British unit to meet the Folgore certainly got a suprise as they got severly mauled....they were expecting to meet a normal infantry unit!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic