• You cannot reply to this topic

Rockford

#21 User is offline   Tony 

• Maresciallo Ordinario
  • Group: Members
  • LocationSt. Paul, Minnesota

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:17 AM

All,

Since I am flying in with just a small bag with me, there are a few items that I will need to borrow, if applicable.

1. Sleeping bag or some blankets. 2-3-4 Italian blankets would do just fine as well. If anyone has extras, I would very much appreciate the warmth!!!!!
2. Cot. Just to get off the ground. I do that enough in the real stuff.
3. Carbine. The only rifle I have is the M38. It will do just fine if a carbine cannot be located.

That's all. Jeff will be bringing all my uniforms and gear. I will bring all the items I have collected for Alpini over the last two years. Not much, but needed items.

Also, I think it would be too late to try to order blanks from Swansons. Jeff, any luck with possibly finding some blanks in my container? Bob, any chance you may have some leftovers? Since we are so very close to the town itself now, I thought this maybe good publicity to get into the skits. Even if just one. I know the US unit that I am/was with will be there. I'm sure they would have no problem watching the camp, which we will be no more that 20 yards from, if we participated. That is, if needed/asked by the event.

Two more weeks!!!!!!

Pista!

Tony

#22 User is offline   Jeff Leser 

• Staff
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationLeavenworth, KS

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:41 AM

Tony

You have four blankets in your boxes. I will bring an extra cot, and if you wish, a sleeping bag.

Bob will need to help on the cavalry carbine. I only have the one.

No blanks in your boxes. I do have plenty of blanks, so don't worry.

Getting short.

Pista!

Jeff
btg. sciatori Alpini Monte Cervino (reenacted)
19 reggimento fanteria Brescia (reenacted)

#23 User is offline   Bob Starr 

• Sottotenente
  • LocationLeRoy, Illinois,U.S.A.

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:21 PM

Ciao everyone. Tony that's great that you'll be able to attend, can't wait to see ya. I recieved my M41 pants and puttees from Chen yesterday. Both are very good and the fit of the pants is perfect. The only thing left for me to get now is a shirt and I'm all set. Starting to get everything together so I don't forget anything, if anyone thinks of anything that you might need drop me a line and I'll bring it if I canI have my white overcover on my helmet and it's a tad large but will still function ok. Jeff did they wear their socks rolled down over their boots with the M41 pants??? I'm going to bring all my capes so we can do a really good photo op. Really looking forward to this one guys until then PISTA!!! Bob

#24 User is offline   Jeff Leser 

• Staff

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:42 PM

Salve Alpini

Bob, The M41 pants can be worn anyway you can. I plan to wear them with grey socks up over the cuff, then down over the boots. If you order the M41s long, the socks should not be an issue. I have read that the puttess were worn with the M41s, but I am wondering if they were cut down in length.

I have four summer shirts, so I should be able to outfit everyone. The Hessian shirt looks like a good, easy option at this time.

Chris, I need you to verify your address so I can mail your mostrine to you. E-mail off-line. You can get them sewn on before Rockford.

Pista!

Jeff

#25 User is offline   Tony 

• Maresciallo Ordinario

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:26 PM

Ciao Alpini!

Boy, looks like this event is REALLY coming together.

Jeff, blankets and a cot will do just fine. i don't know how much sleeping I'm going to be doing anyway. 2 years away from Rockford is a long time. I'll be trying to soak up as much as I can. Day and night.

Still waiting for the Cappello to arrive. Hopefully this week.

Pista!

Tony

#26 User is offline   Jeff Leser 

• Staff

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:19 AM

Ciao Tony

My cappello arrived today. Looks great and is a good fit. Yours should arrive any day.

Alpini

I have not been able to order addtional Monte Cervino badges. The website has problems, and I haven't been able to complete the order. It is unlikely I will have the badges in time for Rockford.

Pista!

Jeff

#27 User is offline   Bob Starr 

• Sottotenente

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:07 PM

Salve!! I'm going to see if I can borrow my buddies cav. carbine again for Rockford that would give me 3 to bring up. I'm planning on bringing my TS carbines also as I believe Jeff you said they would make an acceptable alternative weapon. Got all my pots and pans cleaned up and ready to go. Everything is starting to come together pretty good so far. Only about a week to go. PISTA!!! Bob

#28 User is offline   Saetta 

• Colonnello
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:55 AM

Hey guys!

Sorry I havent been on in a while, still no internet at the house :roll:

Jeff, I will email you with my address. I still have to sew on my alpini hat insignia so I might just do that at Rockford with a hand sewing kit, because it is an artillery patch and is only temporary. I also have RE collar stars, so I could just use those to keep the mostrine on as well. I'll be popping in every now and then until the event.

Chris
Posted Image

#29 User is offline   Bob Starr 

• Sottotenente

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:23 PM

Chris I have an infantry fregio for the cappello that I will bring with me so don't sew on the artillery one if you haven't already done so. I'm trying to get some repros made of those so we can have a local source and not be cost prohibitive. I tried on my Chen M41 pants with my HKK tunic and they don't go too bad together, colors are a tad off but that could have easily happened in real life. Jeff I'm going to go with gray socks over the cuff and over the boots as well, tried that and it looks good and is very practical. I think I'll bring my HKK pantaloons and the puttees strictly as display items. Chris I will be bringing an extra cot as well so the only thing you'll have to bring on that end is your sleeping bag/blankets. Jeff silly question for you, did the Italians have a mess knife?? I've seen and got the spoon and fork but have never seen any type of a knife, did they simply use their bayonet for an eating knife? Just curious. Only a week away guys!!!!! Weather has been cool around here lately so the wools should feel pretty good. PISTA!!! Bob

#30 User is offline   Jeff Leser 

• Staff

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:49 PM

Bob

RE: Mess knife. No, they didn't issue one. The bayonet or a pocket knife was used.

Chris

I will bring the mostrine with me. We will have a sewning circle around the campfire.

I am finishing up a few items this weekend. Bob, please bring your snowshoes and ice axe to help decorate the camp.

One week!

Pista!

Jeff

#31 User is offline   Tony 

• Maresciallo Ordinario

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:59 AM

Ciao Alpini!!!!!!!

Sorry, I've been in the field since Monday morning doing the "real" thing, Bob-Jeff, you can relate....I've read all the above posts and lots of stuff to answer. So, here goes....Yes, No, No, Yes, 23, Ok, maybe, Alright! :D

Ok, on the serious note, I am very excited. Jeff, yes, I did receive my hat. It's still at the post office. My wife works later than the post office being open so they still have it. I'm glad that you think it is a good repro. I would have hated to pay the $100 and you say it's bad. And if you could bring an extra sleeping bag with you, that would be great.

Chris, I know how to sew very well, don't ask just something I remembered from 8th grade home ec all those years ago, but I have done alot of field repairs in reenacting and the real thing for alot of guys. And then they tell two friends.....and so on. Some events I have had guys I have never met come and ask to sew a hole or something for them. I'll help get the patch on.

I know on the website that it says food will be provided at the dance as well. Don't know the extent of the "food", maybe we should find out. I remember Bob and Jeff stating that last year the dance provided some good food and maybe the sat. night meal should be re-thought? Not that Bob's cookin' isn't fantastic out in the field, just thinking out loud.

Pista!

Tony

#32 User is offline   Bob Starr 

• Sottotenente

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:09 PM

Jeff thanks for the info regarding a mess knife. I suspected as much but wasn't sure. I will have all my winter gear with me so we can really display the place up right for an Alpinin Sciatori camp.

Tony, the Sat. night meal can be whatever we want to do. Yes there was food at the dance last year and I don't usually buy most of the groceries until I get up thee so we can definately play it by ear. Also Tony I have a sewing kit in my miscellaneous box that I bring so I'll have sewing supplies for you or Chris to put the Alpini insignia on his cappello.

Time is definately rapidly approaching!!! Take care everyone. PISTA, Bob.

#33 User is offline   Tony 

• Maresciallo Ordinario

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:59 PM

Salve Alpini!

I picked up my Cappello today and perfect! As far as I can see, a well put together hat. From the posts and pictures about Remo's hats, Al Cappello's seems to be alot better quality. Not bashing Remo.....I read his reply about not having the right equipment to do the job.....no biggie. Anyhow, got the hat, red nappina and blue (just incase), size 58 which is just perfect. Fits absolutely great. Couldn't be more happy.

Now on to the feathers. Al sells the feathers but VERY expensive for a darn feather. Almost as if he takes the time to go out, hunt the bird and pluck it himself. Now, he did have alot of variations of styles the troops would shape them into, I guess for the different units but almost $15 for a feather....I'll pass. So, I know for the Winter National '07, I purchased a 4 pack of black feathers at the local Party City in MN and those seems to work well. Agreed? Do I still Have some leftovers in my box of stuff? Jeff? If not, I'll check the local party supply store and see if I can locate some. I think it was about $2 for the pack.

This time next week we'll be rockin' at Rockford!

Pista!

Tony

#34 User is offline   Jeff Leser 

• Staff

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:58 PM

Ciao Amici!

Yes, the penna are expensive. I too passed on buying one. However, they are correctly cut for Alpini wear, something we will need to investigate and understand. The cut and shape has meaning.

I checked your boxes; no penna. I did find some live 7.35 ammo. I have taken the ammo out of the boxes so we don't have it at Rockford. I too bought some extra penna. I just now need to find them.

I agree, Al Cappello is the source for the hats. I know Remo tries hard, but these hats are close enough (very close) to wartime issue and are less expensive. Remo is still the number one source for uniforms and boots.

I will finish up what I can today and tomorrow. I want our display to be top notch and generate a lot of buzz.

Pista!

Jeff

#35 User is offline   Tony 

• Maresciallo Ordinario

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:15 PM

Jeff,

Thanks on the ammo. I also take the ammo out of the boxes when I go to an event. 1. safety and 2. no one gets sticky fingers....like your camera last year.

I will head to the local party store here in town and look for some penna. I agree we need to find out how these feathers were styled per unit.

Tony

#36 User is offline   Bob Starr 

• Sottotenente

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:42 AM

Tony don't but any penna's please. I have several extras here plus I'm taking pot shots at the local crow population but they are getting smarter in my old age. I will be able to supply penna for us at Rockford. Jeff are we looking at maybe prtraying the Albanian "Monte Cervino" unit?? That would mean blue nappine, which I can supply, and maybe the straight wools without the overwhites??? Let me know what you think. Grazie!! Bob

#37 User is offline   Jeff Leser 

• Staff

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:28 PM

Salve Bob!

RE: Impression. We will wear the 1942 impression for Russia. The M41 weren't authorized for wear by ski troops in Oct 41. However, ski troops were wearing them in April-May. As several of us plan on wearing these pants, and I beleive all memeebrs have the red nappine, Russia makes sense. Red nappine.

We can have a blue nappine for display. I now have conflicting data on what Monte Cervino wore. Some sources state it the dark blue (blu) nappine. I do have onther sources that state is should be sky blue (azzurra) . Working through this one.

Pista!

Jeff

#38 User is offline   Tony 

• Maresciallo Ordinario

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:45 PM

Bob,

Sounds good on the penna. I thought someone in the unit had extra somewhere.

Tony

#39 User is offline   Saetta 

• Colonnello
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:40 AM

Ooh, I see an issue.

My hat also has the Blue nappina. And a blue feather! Beats me.
Also, I need a belt for my pants. I don't know if it will be an issue, but I do have a leather belt that looks okay. Im not too sure what was worn but I dont want to get chewed out for wearing a non-period correct belt. Without one I'd be sporting the MC Hammer look. :shock:

I just bought my bus tickets home! I can't wait for this weekend!!!
Posted Image

#40 User is offline   Tony 

• Maresciallo Ordinario

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:37 PM

Chris,

Any black or brown leather belt that looks period will work. I don't have a correct Italian belt either. You'll be wearing your tunic most of the time anyway, so no one will see the belt.

As for the nappina and penna , I think Bob may have some extra red ones and some extra black feathers.....don't quote me one that. Bob will have to roger up.

See ya one Friday!

Pista!

Tony

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic