• You cannot reply to this topic

Rockford '07

#1 User is offline   Saetta 

• Colonnello
  • Group: Members
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:43 AM

Hi guys,

I didn't want to bring up a dead topic so I decided to post a new one. How many people are thinking of going to Rockford this year? I know last year there was a group of 5 or so Italians and I'm going this year and I was hoping I could see some others there with a fashionable feather on their head :) .

I await your news!!!
Chris
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Tony 

• Maresciallo Ordinario
  • LocationSt. Paul, Minnesota

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:51 PM

Hell,

I will be at Rockford this year.

For those who are new to the forum, Rockford, Illinois is one of the biggest U.S. Mid-West WWII weekends of the year. Over 400 reenactors particpate yearly. The date is Sept. 21-23, Fri-Sun. Us Italians have a very big stop in the shady woods where we have made lots of space by clearing brush, cutting small trees and the like to have more members attend with us yearly. The event is set as Italy '44 but all impressions are welcome. There is always plenty of vehicles and armor to see and have fun with. I know that we the Italians will once again be holding our annual "Saturday night feast" with many other reenactors coming to our camp and trying to get some good pasta and fixings.

Anyone in the forum is more than welcome to come out and join us. Whether you are a reenactor or not, show up, introduce yourself and join in on the good times by all.

Kif

#3 User is offline   Jeff Leser 

• Staff
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationLeavenworth, KS

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:52 PM

I plan to be there. From the website, the event appears to be a public display and several demonstration battles. Should I bring my full display, or is it different (a la Jeff Barracks field display/tactical flavor).

IBW, what should I bring and what should I expect during the weekend.

Grazie!

Jeff

#4 User is offline   Bob Starr 

• Sottotenente
  • LocationLeRoy, Illinois,U.S.A.

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:02 PM

Ciao everyone!!! Been awhile since I've posted something to do with a thing called life. Anyway here's my post for Rockford. It's a great event with all the good things regarding reenacting. While the general time frame is set for Italy 1944 you will see Russians there also and many other impressions from outside that particular time frame. This is a public display type of event and Jeff they are a little more lacks when it comes to the individual displays at the encampments. Last year I had a display board for the weapons and I've seen many Allied units with established display boards for their items. If you wish to bring you display items feel free to do so, contact me ofline regarding specific equipment. As I said this is a public display event with the typical scripted public battles. Unlike many public battles though this one is usually very vehicle heavy on both sides, last year the Axis had the Hetzer tank destroyer, 3 halftracks, an armored car, and approximately 3 field pieces of various calibers, the Allies had a Sherman tank, 2 M5 Stuart tanks, a halftrack with a 75mm field gun, 1 troop halftrack, several jeeps and Bren/Universal carriers. I'm sure I didn't get everything listed that was on the field sorry to those I missed. There are also several vendors that setup near the "village" so it's a good opportunity to maybe catch some items you need. To me one of the highlights is the Sat. night dance in the barn. The barn is a new building, only 2 years old now, but built to look like an old 19th century barn. The hayloft area is where the dance is held and gives everyone an opportunity to wear their dress uniforms. The variety of uniforms present is outstanding. The village mentioned earlier offers another unique opportunity for the reenactors present, challenge battles! small units may challenge each other and coordinate through the organizers to battle in the village. This allows the public to see a different view point of battle, small units in a town, and also allows the reenactors not to be tied to anything that's scripted. Last year we Italians met the Russians in the village and came out the winners, with a small amount of help from a German squad. As you can tell I am a little prejudice regarding this event but I feel it is one of the premier events here in the midwest and well worth the trip. I will once again be setting up the Taj Mahal and will have additional tentage in case our numbers outgrow that, hope hope. Last year there was 4 of us Italians and we had plenty of room so feel free to join in if you can. Please contact me offline at Panzer34T@hotmail.com if you have further questions. Now I have a question for everyone out there, anyone got a good recipe from northern Italy I could cook up for Sat. night ???? Grazie for your time and patience hope to see you there. Bob Starr

#5 User is offline   Tony 

• Maresciallo Ordinario
  • LocationSt. Paul, Minnesota

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:32 PM

Folks,

Even though this is a little late, Rockford, Ill was once again the premier event in the mid-west US. Over 700 participants attended and more and more vehicles attend every year!

I unfortuatly do not have any pics to put up but maybe I can convice Jeff or Bob Starr to throw up a couple????

Kif

#6 User is offline   Bob Starr 

• Sottotenente
  • LocationLeRoy, Illinois,U.S.A.

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:31 PM

Ciao! As Kif said Rockford was once again a premier event and this year the weather even cooperated. We Italians represented ourselves well through display, talks, and battle participation. As the timeframe for this event is supposed to be 1944 we represented the Italian RSI forces: Jeff was Alpini, Tony Camicia Nere, and I did Bersaglieri. All of us were in continental model40 wool tunic and pantaloons. This year they coordinated several short "town" battles for the public, these were only about 30 minutes in duration and were established prior to the event via an established group site. Tony and I participated in one agaisnt a Russian unit and it went very well. The larger spectator battles, involving armor, were on a field outside the "town" area. Tony and I participated in the first of the large battles but due to the congestion of troops and the complaints we recieved from the Germans regarding our VERY loud Carcanos (with Swanson blanks) we decided to skip the rest of the large battles and concentrate on talking with the public at our encampment. The turn out for this event was very good and we were constantly talking with groups at the encampment. Sat. night was the dance and we Italians again stole the show, and the women. Jeff, Tony and I had a great time and got to have several great discussions regarding forming a unit, if you've followed the thread here on the forum you know we have applied to be officially recognized by the World War 2 Historical Re-enactment Society as an Alpini ski battlion "Monte Cervino". All in all a great event and if you'd care to see pictures go to http://www.worldwartwohrs.org click on the photo gallery listing (left hand side); click on WWII Combat photographer, and find the Rockford 07 file. There are about 90 pictures of the event posted in this file. Grazie for your time and hopefully I'll see you at this event in 08. Bob Starr

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic