Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Princess Daria Kara-Georgevitch

#1 User is offline   Joseph Salemi 

• Banned
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 December 2005 - 09:53 PM

Recently in an antiquarian bookshop I purchased a book that had the very beautiful engraved bookplate of one "Daria, Princesse Kara-Georgevitch." The book also had a small bookseller's label marked Biarritz-Nice-Cannes-Menton. Perhaps the Princess was living in retirement on the French Riviera.

I know that Kara-Georgevitch (some other spellings are "Karageorgevic" or "Karageorgevich") was the royal house of Serbia, and that there was a terrible palace coup and assassination of some members of the royal Serbian family in the early years of the twentieth century.

Can anyone tell me exactly who this Princess Daria was? I can find nothing on the Internet about her (though I admit that my computer skills are minimal). In addition, can anyone tell us about that bloody event in Serbia, and perhaps connect it to the subsequent politics that led up to the assassination of the Austro-Hungarian Archduke at Sarajevo?

#2 User is offline   MarkoZ 

• Caporale Maggiore
  • LocationYorkshire England

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:12 AM

A Happy New Year to All!!!

Joseph: have a look on http://www.carbinesforcollectors.com/ there is an excellent potted history on Yugoslavia.

and most other countries for that matter.

The Karageorgevic's were living in France in exile at that time and the future King Peter the 1, actually served as a sous lieutenant in the foreign Legion under the pseudonym of George KARA.
She was probably his sister.

regards

Marko

#3 User is offline   Tankredi 

• Primo Maresciallo dell Impero
  • LocationBaden - Germany

Posted 01 January 2006 - 04:47 PM

Was Peter the Yugoslav king that was shot in Marseille along with a French minister?
Chi si ferma perduto

#4 User is offline   MarkoZ 

• Caporale Maggiore

Posted 01 January 2006 - 07:20 PM

No That was his son Alexander, My uncle Marko was commander of his personal Body guard and would you believe it was promoted to the rank of
Equerry to the Queen of Yugoslavia 3 weeks before Alexanders assassination.

People who knew uncle Marko say it would never have happened if he had not been promoted.

Clearly the man who replaced my uncle was still green and didnt know the in's and outs of his job.

I seem to recollect that the Royal launch was attacked with hand grenades as it moored on the quayside in Marseille.

an easily preventable occurance.

#5 User is offline   MarkoZ 

• Caporale Maggiore

Posted 01 January 2006 - 08:45 PM

Evening all!

I have been 'Googling' and found out that Alexander was assasinated in an open topped car whilst surrounded by Horse mounted French gendarmes.

He had previously been the subject of 10 failed attempts on his life!

(Possibly a ring of truth in the plaudits reigned on dear old Uncle Marko!)

Anyway for those who are interested in what was happening in Yugoslavia
before and during the War have a look at: http://www.diacritic...4/pavelic6.html

The facts in this account are as far as my findings are concerned the truth,they are also quite complimentary as to Italy's attempts to extricate itself from the fiasco which had unfolded in wartime Yugoslavia.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users