Comando Supremo: Did you know it was the Italians who invented... - Comando Supremo

Icon Message from the Comando Supremo staff

Follow us now on Twitter!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Did you know it was the Italians who invented...

#1 Guest_Elias Khouri_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 02 June 2003 - 12:10 AM

Did you know it was the Italians who invented the idea of cammo patterns on a uniform, and also out of every army in the
world they were the first to issue cammoflaged uniforms to their soldiers. This information was gathered from the new osprey Men at Arms series book on the Italians in WWII(It is the first book of three which are to be made).

#2 Guest_NICK_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 02 June 2003 - 12:10 AM

they also invented radar (or so i belive, correct me if im wrong.

#3 User is offline   Barbarigo 

• Staff
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationLegnano (MI) - Italy

Posted 03 June 2003 - 11:16 AM

Italians distributed cammo tents to their soldiers. Four men can build a complete tent, using theirs "telo tenda". "Telo tenda" was also studied to be used as a cammo poncho (see for example this toy soldier made by Wolf):

Posted Image

M1929 cammo pattern was also used to produce paratrooper's overall (see te one in the left):

Posted Image

After the armistice M1929 was largely used by RSi's armed forces, also to produce mimetic clothes (like jacket, trousers, beret):

Posted Image

paolino
"We are one equal temper of heroic heart, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yield"

#4 User is offline   @Reazzurro90 

• Aspirante Ufficiale
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 June 2003 - 08:48 PM

NICK said:

Cool, I never knew that!@
I will never deny my allegiance to my native town, only I will never forget that Rome is my greater Fatherland, and that my native town is but a portion of Rome. - Cicero

#5 User is offline   Barbarigo 

• Staff
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationLegnano (MI) - Italy

Posted 27 June 2003 - 02:56 PM

Posted Image
"We are one equal temper of heroic heart, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yield"

#6 User is offline   Gerry Chester 

• Soldato
  • LocationTucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 22 October 2003 - 10:18 PM

NICK said:

The British were the leaders in every aspect of Radar development. The only reference to Italian involvement was a suggestion, in 1922, by M G Marconi who considered Maxwell's concept would be useful as a navigation device designed to avoid collisons at sea.

The basic Radar concept was developed by British physicist J C Maxwell in 1864 and the first successful experiment was conducted by British physicist E V Appleton in 1924. The first practical Radar system was produced in in 1935 by another British physicist Sir Robert Watson-Watt.

It was the invention of the resonant-cavity magnetron by Britishers H. Boot and J T Randall that helped defeat the Luftwaffe in the Battle of Britain.

Gerry Chester

#7 User is offline   @Reazzurro90 

• Aspirante Ufficiale

Posted 28 October 2003 - 09:19 PM

Barbarigo said:

Italians distributed cammo tents to their soldiers. Four men can build a complete tent, using theirs "telo tenda". "Telo tenda" was also studied to be used as a cammo poncho (see for example this toy soldier made by Wolf):

Posted Image

M1929 cammo pattern was also used to produce paratrooper's overall (see te one in the left):

Posted Image

After the armistice M1929 was largely used by RSi's armed forces, also to produce mimetic clothes (like jacket, trousers, beret):

Posted Image

paolino

That's just awesome! 8)
I will never deny my allegiance to my native town, only I will never forget that Rome is my greater Fatherland, and that my native town is but a portion of Rome. - Cicero

#8 User is offline   Kiwiwriter 

• Aspirante Ufficiale
  • LocationNewark, NJ and Christchurch, NZ

Posted 17 January 2004 - 04:45 PM

The midget submarine and human torpedo was very much an Italian invention. The British copied their design for the Chariot and expanded upon it for their X Craft.

"Above Us the Waves" is the best book on the British midget submarine war, which is fascinating stuff.

Very claustrophobic.
"My intensity is intense." -- Roger Clemens

Check out my small contributions to World War II history at

http://www.usswashin...om/dl_index.htm

and

http://davidhlippman...illguarnere.com

#9 User is offline   sergemaster 

• 2004-2010
  • LocationWild, Wild, West, New Jersey

Posted 09 March 2004 - 02:42 AM

Is it possible for a LONE Italian soldier to use the shelter half section for his own shelter?? If so, How??

ANOI!!
SERGEMASTER

SENTIRE - PENSARE - VOLERE

#10 User is offline   Dominick 

• Primo Capitano
  • LocationLA, California

Posted 09 March 2004 - 10:34 PM

Italians also invented the bomber. We were the first to strap bombs on an airplane. used it in the war with turkey in 1912

#11 User is offline   Dominick 

• Primo Capitano
  • LocationLA, California

Posted 09 March 2004 - 10:34 PM

or maybe it was 1911, I forget exactly which year, but either way it was in that timeplace

#12 User is offline   Tmrarose 

• Sergente

Posted 19 March 2004 - 07:52 PM

The 12 SS(hiler Youth) also used Italien Cammo uniforms dureing the Normandy battles

#13 User is offline   Crazy Canuck 

• Caporale
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 19 March 2004 - 10:14 PM

Gentlemen,

If for no other reason than to set the scientific record straight, work on the development of RADAR was ongoing in several countries simultaneously, although the level of commitment in terms of technical and human resources differed from one country to the next. To say that RADAR was an Italian or especially to say that it was a uniquely British 'invention' is the de facto use of frivolous propaganda as a substitute for serious historical analysis. Major contributions were made by physicists, technicians and engineers, both civilian and military, from Japan (Yagi antenna), USA, France, Germany (Hulsmeyer), Britain (Sir Watson Watts), and of course Italy (Marconi, Tiberio, Carrara of 'microwaves' fame).
Besides Maxwell's equations which proved quite useful, it was Marconi and Kennelly who observed that electromagnetic (EM) waves were reflected by the ionosphere and that led researches to hypothesize that EM 'echoes' could be generated by electromagnetic waves bouncing off objects even at great distances. This was in 1902; for this work and other discoveries, Marconi won the Nobel Prize in 1907. The rest of the history of RADAR development can be summed up in some physics and in enormous amounts of engineering, requiring considerable resources.
By 1943, after being slow to profit from the technology, Italian sets were outclassing anything produced by either the Allies or the Germans. For God's sake, as a result of work done by SAFAR on colour television, the Italians had sets (e.g. Gufo) of incomparable power that had screens with almost a 1000 lines of resolution and 25-30 images per second. Indeed, they installed more than 500 sets in four detection nets covering essentially all of the central and eastern Mediterranean. Alot of good that did them, they were about to capitulate in a few months. The British benefitted enormously from the technology (developed by British scientists working for Marconi Systems Inc) because of England's geography (Dover East Coast Cliffs are very high) during the Battle of Britain and of course the RN found it useful in the Mediterranean although many historians would argue that ULTRA was more important.

Best regards,

Grazy Canuck
We are all ignorant; just about different things.
Mark Twain

#14 User is offline   JeffreyF 

• Generale d'Armata

Posted 21 March 2004 - 09:05 AM

Did Italian forces make much use out of the shelter piece for camoflauge, or other types of camo, in vegetad areas prior to the armistice? Such as in the Balkans, Tunis or Italy proper?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic