Follow us now on Twitter!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

P-40 Tank in Combat?

#1 Guest_Robin Kalhorn_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 01 June 2003 - 11:48 PM

I am curious about the combat performance of the Italian P-40 medium tank, a much needed improvement over the M13/40. A web site linked to Comando Supremo claims it was used in Northern Italy in the last stages of the war. Are there any records of the P-40 in action against Allied tanks?

#2 Guest_Guido Ronconi_*

Posted 01 June 2003 - 11:48 PM

As I wrote in an article of mine, that was published in the italian military magazine "Storia Militare", issue of August 2000, the Germans employed 15 P.40 with the 10. Polizei-Panzer-Kompanie, stationed in San Michele (Verona), 13 P.40 with the 15. Polizei-Panzer-Kompanie stationed in Novara, and about 20-22 P.40 with the Panzerkompanie of the 24. Waffen-Gebirgs-Brigade der SS Karstjäger, stationed in Cividale (Udine). The P.40 of the Karstjäger had a fight against the british 6th A.D. in May 1945, it could also be that they had a tank fight, sure is that at least 2 P.40 were destroyed by A.T. gun fire during the german rethreat toward Austria.
If you read italian I can send you per e-mail my article, or per post. You can find more informations about the Polizei-Panzer-Kompanien in the book of Dr. Werner Regenberg "Panzerfahrzeuge und Panzereinheiten der Ordnungspolizei 1936-1945", Podzun-Pallas Verlag, 1999.
I hope I helped you, best greetings

Guido Ronconi

#3 Guest_luposolitario_*

Posted 01 June 2003 - 11:49 PM

For what is known, only 60 efficent P-40 were produced by italian industry in german-occupied zone. In a first moment, some were employed by unidentified fascist units but at the end of 1944, they were taken by germans to assembly three tank companies (2 of army and 1 of SS) and employed all against guerrilla. All surrended in May 1945, without having met allied tanks

#4 Guest_NICK_*

Posted 01 June 2003 - 11:50 PM

yes, about 20-22 of these medium/heavy tanks were used by northern italy. my granfather was a driver in one of them. i could give you a report based on what my grandfather said during his only real engagement. sastisical: the P.40 was i fine tank. armed with a 75mm gun it could, for the first time, mesure up to allied standards. the tank had a good road speed, reletivly thick armour, and was overall a well ballensed thank. acual statistics i can give to you if you wish!

#5 Guest_Guido Ronconi_*

Posted 01 June 2003 - 11:50 PM

Hi Nick!
I made deep researches about the subject P40 in German Army, so I am very interested in the reports! Maybe I can also give you interesting informations on the matter, could you please contact me at:

guaido@gmx.net

Thanks a lot in advance

Guido

#6 Guest_NICK_*

Posted 01 June 2003 - 11:52 PM

Its NICK agian. my e-mail is not working, so ill tell you the statistics of the P.40 here:

Weight= 26ton
Crew=4
Range=150km
Armor(Max) 60mm
Weapons= 1 75mm, 1 8mmMG
No. Produced: 3 Pre Production tanks by the italians, 100-200 by the gerrmans.
I am looking for the production figures of the LanciaFlamme and/or the No. of Somua S-35 French tanks used by the italians. please help.

#7 Guest_LupoSolitario_*

Posted 01 June 2003 - 11:53 PM

Nick
about flamethrowers tank I've no more infos than Guido. I can tell you that Italy received from Germany 32 SOMUA tanks (of 50 first offered) probably in 1941. Their prestations were seen unsatisfactory and they were employed only on Italian territory. SOMUA equipped a tank battalion which was deployed for Sardinia defence and never fought

bye

Lupo

#8 Guest_Guido Ronconi_*

Posted 01 June 2003 - 11:53 PM

Hi Nick,
I am really interested about the reports of your grandfather: wenn Du Deutsch bist kannst Du mich auf Deutsch anschreiben, meine e-mail-Adresse hast Du schon. War er bei den Karstjägern oder der Polizei?
There are no official figures about the number of L3 Flamethrower produced: in fact in the figures given by the producer there were no difference between the L3 with MGs and the L3 with flamethrower, so that now nobody really knows exactly how many L3 with flamethrower were produced. Anyway in the literature the estimates vary between 100 and 200. Same uncertainity about the L6 flamethrower: few were produced, but how many exactly is not known (some writers tell it was built just the prototype).
About the Somua S 35 I need some days to get the informations.
Sorry if I could not help you, but there is probably nowhere a sure answer to your questions. Hoffentlich höre ich was von Dir.
Best greetings

#9 Guest_Kunysz_*

Posted 01 June 2003 - 11:54 PM

Thanks alot! I have changed my name to kunysz, and i am taking german classes, but i still don;t really understand what you said. in eglish, what is you e-mail. meina ist nkunysz@home.com
The stories about my grandfather are unoffical. he used to tell me them when he was still alive. Every night, he would tell them over and over agian, and nobody really listened, except me. Please contact me!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users