Follow us now on Twitter!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

British Somaliland

#1 Guest_Folgore_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 07 April 2003 - 11:09 PM

Just something that's been nagging at me for a while - did the same IItalian units take part in the invasions of the Sudan and British Somaliland in July-August 1940, or were they two seperate army groups? Thanks for any help.

Love the new look - great site here, and I wish you continue success.

#2 Guest_Lupo Solitario_*

Posted 07 April 2003 - 11:10 PM

Apart there had been not an invasion of Sudan (only occupation of some border post) substantially not. Italian forces had not possibility to fight in different places in short times

#3 Guest_Italiaking7_*

The Italians were very quick in taking over British and French Somiland. Espicially with worn out forces

#4 Guest_JeffreyF_*

I think French Somililand fell under Vichy control until British took over the AOI, no?

#5 Guest_AereItaliani_*

Posted 07 April 2003 - 11:11 PM

I thing that the only units used in the operation "Cassala" ( occupation of Cassala -Gallabat in Sudan) and the operation "Somaliland" were the Sq. of Regia Aeronautica :
27° Gruppo bis Bombardamento Terrestre
411° and 412° Sqd. Caccia Terrestre
For the "Cassala" op. were used 7000 men for the "invasion" of Somaliland 34.800 (85% colonial troops),in 15 days the operation has been completed with a loss of 2029 men againt the british loss of 300.
The orders from Rome in May'40 don't have permitted to attack the French in A.O.I , The French Somaliland has not been invaded but only a little commission (July '40 / CIAF-Somalia) was send in Gibuti to demobilize the French troops (but not the colonial troops) and for use the railway Gibuti-Addis Abeba, at the italians injured the governement of Gibuti not have gived the permission to use the french hospitals

#6 Guest_Italiaking7_*

When the Italians declared war against Germany did they also fight AUstrian forces to although it was annenxed be Germany???

#7 Guest_ThisIsNotMyLogo_*

Italiaking7 – Austria didn’t exactly fight a separate war? The Germans threw all kinds of foreign nationals into their armed forces. Italy fought to expel the German forces from Italy after 1943, wherever their soldiers came from.

No.9

#8 Guest_Italiaking7_*

Posted 07 April 2003 - 11:12 PM

Never mind.

#9 Guest_AereItaliani_*

Posted 07 April 2003 - 11:12 PM

I have heard that group of military austrian 2-3° lines are present in Nord Est of Italy in '44-'45 naturally incorporated by Wermacht.
We have to take care that in '44-'45 the Bozen Sud-Tirol area have the project to made a region with austrian and german tirol by the came off from Italy.
Some Sud-Tirolen (italian in '39) have been incorporated by SS and wermacht troops and have fight in URSS.

#10 Guest_Italiaking7_*

Posted 07 April 2003 - 11:13 PM

On 2002-12-07 08:52, AereItaliani wrote:
I have heard that group of military austrian 2-3° lines are present in Nord Est of Italy in '44-'45 naturally incorporated by Wermacht.
We have to take care that in '44-'45 the Bozen Sud-Tirol area have the project to made a region with austrian and german tirol by the came off from Italy.
Some Sud-Tirolen (italian in '39) have been incorporated by SS and wermacht troops and have fight in URSS.
Thanks. Is their a site like this for Italy in WW1?

#11 Guest_AereItaliani_*

Posted 07 April 2003 - 11:13 PM

On 2002-12-07 08:55, Italiaking7 wrote:

Thanks. Is their a site like this for Italy in WW1?
[ This message was edited by: Italiaking7 on 2002-12-07 07:32 ]

No in English not , there are many good site in Italian laguages:
http://www.cimeetrincee.it
http://www.guerrabianca.org in this site in link section there are many interesting site.
But i have read some book and i live near Piave line if there is a question . (OT permitted)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users