• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Engravings on knife handle

#1 User is offline   Billie 

• Soldato
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 May 2004 - 01:35 AM

Hi,
I have this dagger with a wood handle and it has engravings all over it. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they were? I don't know if it is in Italian or what. First there is, VCS MO.RBO and then what looks like a backward C and ISOV, The Sheath of the knive has a logo like the one on the front page of this site with the upright log and the axe, and MVSN under it. Any ideas would be apprecieated.

Thanks,
Billie

#2 User is offline   FB 

Posted 27 May 2004 - 07:53 AM

Billie said:

Hi,
I have this dagger with a wood handle and it has engravings all over it. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they were? I don't know if it is in Italian or what. First there is, VCS MO.RBO and then what looks like a backward C and ISOV, The Sheath of the knive has a logo like the one on the front page of this site with the upright log and the axe, and MVSN under it. Any ideas would be apprecieated.

Thanks,
Billie

Hi,

MVSN = Milizia Volonatria Sicurezza Nazionale (these were the so called Camicie Nere = Black Shirts).

Since this appears to be a MVSN bayonet, VCS could stand for Vice Capo Squadra = Deputy Squad Leader that was the equivalent for the MSVN of a Caporal Maggiore of the Army.

I'm sorry but I really don'y know what the other letters are, maybe a name or something. Maybe a picture can help, if you can post one.

Best regards

#3 User is offline   Billie 

• Soldato

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:12 AM

I actually took a photo of it today, give me a moment and I'll upload it. I just click the add an attachment button correct?

Thanks for replying,

Billie :)

#4 User is offline   Billie 

• Soldato

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:50 AM

Here are the photos. I took a couple closeups of the lettering, tried to focas best I could. Hope they help. Pictures wouldn't upload here, so I'll try to get them to pop up from their links. If all else fails the pictures are here.

http://www.free-conv...altrasea/dagger

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Billie 

• Soldato

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:53 AM

whoops, the one image is upside down and round the wrong way. The (backward) c and the isov

#6 User is offline   Arditi 

• Primo Maresciallo dell Impero
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:36 PM

Very nice example Billie. I like the examples that have "been there...done that". Jim, can we get the photos posted to the combat knife sticky in militaria? This is also a nice representative piece of one that was carved...I like that many of these were personalized by the individual soldier. Arditi http://www.arditi43.com

#7 User is offline   Arditi 

• Primo Maresciallo dell Impero
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:37 PM

Billie, can you tell us more about this specimen? Where you got it, etc.? Thanks for posting, Arditi

#8 User is offline   Jim H 

• Administration
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationNaples, Italy

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:46 PM

Arditi said:

Jim, can we get the photos posted to the combat knife sticky in militaria?

You should be able to copy and paste the picture to the topic since you are moderator. The icon to edit will be used. Let me know if you can't or are having problems.

#9 User is offline   Billie 

• Soldato

Posted 27 May 2004 - 09:55 PM

Hi,

My dad gave it to me to see what I could find on it. He's had it sitting around outside in the shed for years. My mom thinks it's her fathers, cause he was in WWII, My dad isn't sure. So, I'm going to say, it's just been hanging around for a while. So anyone have any ideas on it or it's lettering?

Thanks for all your replies, they're great! :)

Billie

#10 User is offline   Billie 

• Soldato

Posted 22 June 2004 - 07:36 AM

Hi,
I just wanted to update and let anyone know who's interested that my dad has decided to sell the dagger.
Thanks to all of your help with it I wanted to let you know if you were wanting it. :) I can post a link to the auction if anyone is interested or you can email me and request it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users