• You cannot reply to this topic

Italy's Royals Cleared for Return

#1 User is offline   Jim H 

• Administration
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationNaples, Italy

Posted 06 April 2003 - 07:25 PM

Tue Oct 15, 5:25 AM ET

ROME (AP) - A petition to keep Italy's male royalty from returning home after 56 years in exile didn't gather enough signatures, removing the last obstacle for the royals' return.

Monday was the last day to sign the petition, but organizers acknowledged that with only 21,000 signatures gathered, it would be impossible to reach the 500,000 names needed to force a referendum in Parliament.

The exile, applying to male members of the House of Savoy, was enshrined in Italy's postwar constitution as punishment for the family's support of dictator Benito Mussolini.

The exiled heirs are Victor Emmanuel, who was 9 when he left Italy, and his 30-year-old son, Emmanuel Filiberto, who was born and reared in Switzerland.

"It seems like a dream," Victor Emmanuel said. He said he was happy for two reasons.

"The first and more clear one is that my son and I will finally be able to go back to our Italy," he said. "The second, equally important, is that the little number of signatures gathered for the referendum shows that parliament ... has fully interpreted the will of almost all Italian citizens."

The royals, who have lived out most of their exile in Switzerland, had said the exile violated their human rights.

They have renounced any claim to the throne, are expected to travel to Italy in the next few weeks. The Italian president must sign the bill overturning their exile and the change must then be published in the government gazette.

On May 9, 1946, as the nation tried to regain its footing after the devastation of World War II, King Victor Emmanuel III, Victor Emmanuel's grandfather, abdicated in favor of his son Umberto II.

But King Umberto lasted only a month before a referendum in which Italians voted to scrap the monarchy and make the country a republic. Two years later, the new constitution barred Umberto and his male descendants from Italy.

A referendum became a possibility because parliament did not garner a two-thirds majority in voting to lift the ban.

#2 Guest_GLADIVM_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 06 April 2003 - 07:26 PM

Yesterday the Itlain consul in Geneva delivered italian passposrts to Vittorio Emaunele , his son and his wife .
So now they are officialy Italian citizens and may travel to Italy and live there if they wish so .
I thinlk it is a good thing , I never believed that Italian Repubblic had to fear the Savoia family .
Any talk of restauration of monarchy in Itlay has always been just empty as King Vittorio Emanuele ensured the death of the Savoia dinasty with his infamous escape from Rome in sept 43 .
Today's Savoias had nothing to do with their ancestor betrayal of italian people and cannot be held responsible for his acts .
On the other hand the Savoia family had done a lot for the cause of Italian unity and indpendence therefore it is good that finally after more than 50 years they are allowed to call Italy home again.
I have never been in favour of monarchy , even if both my parents in 1946 voted for the monarchy in the referendum , as believe that ancestry rights alone cannot be enough to qualify someone to be Head of State .

#3 Guest_VinceT_*

Posted 06 April 2003 - 07:26 PM

"that ancestry rights alone cannot be enough to qualify someone to be Head of State "

even in a democracy this "rule" can sometimes be violated, for instance, consider George Bush jr, certainly he couldn't have qualified for the presidency on his own merit ? Having said that, and following the decisive republican victories in both the house and the senate, he looks almost unbeatable.

#4 Guest_Lupo Solitario_*

Posted 06 April 2003 - 07:27 PM

boh, I am republican 100% but I'd not signed against Savoia.
I can't suffer Vittorio Long-shot and his son Orang-utan but keeping them off italy is meaningless today. My only hope is not find them every day on italian media.
Enjoy your money (BTW first of all, had placed their fiscal residence in Switzerland....) but leave us quiet, please

#5 Guest_Praetor_*

Posted 06 April 2003 - 07:27 PM

Maybe keeping the descedants of the Savoia away from Italy is meaningless now, but in noway should that name be cleared for the crimes they commited.

King Emanuele let his daughter Mafalda die in a concentration camp in Buchenwald that shows what kind of people they are.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic