• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to [email protected] if interested!

CIOS report on Campini jet propulsion (1944)

DrG

Here you can read the report made by the US intelligence in 1944 about the Campini-Caproni C.C.2 aircraft and other projects by ing. Secondo Campini, plus some details about the Reggiane RE.2005SF: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/102328376 .

In pages 63-67 there are the only technical drawings, although of very low quality (probably copies of copies), which I have ever seen of Campini's turboprop project.

After reading this report (and practically everything on this topic published in Italy), I still cannot understand how William Maglietto managed to claim that Mario De Bernardi reached "easily" a top speed of 500 km/h at 5,800 m with the C.C.2! (William Maglietto, "Mario De Bernardi. Da Milano a Guidonia con il Campini-Caproni", Rivista Aeronautica, 1991, n. 5, pp. 112-113) This datum seems grossly exagerated and unreliable.

On the other hand, if the Japanese choose a motorjet (the Ishikawajima Tsu-11) for a version of the Yokosuka MXY-7 Ohka, maybe this propulsion system should not had been such a failure... The same goes for the quite successful Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-13 (I-250) and the Sukhoi Su-5 (I-107), powered by a propeller engine and a motorjet, i.e. the same arrangement of the second version of the RE.2005R (and we should not forget that the Reggiane company was full of communists, some of whom probably provided information to USSR).