• Get Paid to Write for Comando Supremo: We are looking for talented researchers/writers who are fluent in English and can write original content on Italy in World War Two. Please reach out to [email protected] if interested!

Iron Hulls Iron Hearts - comments?

Webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
by Andreas » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:36 am
Hi

Has anyone read this book?

If so, does it contain information going beyond the official history on what Ariete got up to during Crusader and up to February 1942?

Thanks a lot in advance for all comments.

All the best

Andreas

------
by jwsleser » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:03 am
Andreas

The simple is answer is no. My first impression after reading the book was a disappointment. In fact, I would say it is not as good as the official histories, except that it is in English (for some that is important).

There is no new scholarship. Nothing wrong with what except the author doesn't do a good job using/integrating the existing second-hand sources. Too much left out. For example, I would have expected a detailed discussion of Ariete's role in the Totentag attack during Crusader (formations, details of which units did what, etc.). This attack is well covered in English language histories, so I expected something more than what I read. Alamein would have been a major focus if I was writing the book (a detailed discussion, by day, of what the division did). Little on Littorio as well.

In all, a good starter book for someone who has never read anything on the Italian army armored force. If you have done any serious research in Italian language sources, this book has nothing to offer. I read the library copy here in the college; I have yet to buy a copy for my library.

Jeff
------------
by palamara » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:16 am
I agree, this book is a light read and really covers the usual ground of Italian tank involvement in North Africa.

The book is a great size, i have the hard back version and for Sterling 20 it's a fair price.

I am happy to have it in my library.
--------------
by Andreas » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:31 am
Thank you both!

Is there a good history of Ariete or Corps Gambarra in Italian by any chance?

All the best

Andreas

----------------

by Oasis » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:41 pm
A complete history of Ariete by his general is:

G. Rizzo, Buche e croci nel deserto, Ed. Aurora, Verona 1969

Toni

-------------------

by Andreas » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:06 am
Thanks a lot. Unfortunately, it appears to be impossible to get this one at the moment.

All the best

Andreas

-------------------

by Oasis » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:09 pm
Andreas
don't know where you live, but did you ever try the interlibrary loan? Maybe you could have the book from Italy
cheers