The Fc Cansa multi-purpose assaulter was first designed by Giacomo Mosso. The first flight took place in Cameri (Novara, Piedmont, northern Italy) in April, 1941. It’s first operational start took place in December, 1942 (Italian territory).
Designed as reconnoiter but then transformed in a heavy assaulter, the Cansa FC20 did not succeed in performing any of the tasks for which it was conceived for by Fiat’s engineers. This aircraft, even though it was beautiful in its design, had always been penalized by insufficient flight performances: scarce maneuverability, unsteadiness, low engine powerfulness. Designed at the end of 1940 by Cansa (subsidiary company of Fiat), the FC20 was a medium- winged compact monoplane, full metal structured, mixed covered, powered with two reliable (but modest 9 Fiat A74 RC38 840 hp engines (the same mounted on the famous biplane fighter Fiat CR42). The reconnaissance version was characterized by the glass nose, while the assaulter (armed with a 37 mm gun and three 12.7 mm machine guns) had a closed and strengthened nose. The results of both models were very disappointing and the production (no more than ten units) was interrupted in 1941.
|Powerplant||Three 950 hp Alfa Romeo 128 RC.21 radial engines|
|Max Speed||229 mph at 10,070 ft|
|Weight||4.770 Kg (6.820 loaded)|
|Crew||2 or 3|
|Bomb Load||252 kg of Fragmentation Bombs|
|Armament||1/37 mm (fore), 2/12,7 Breda Safat (wings), 1/12, 7 (back) gun machines|
Article by Alberto Rosselli