The “Giulio Cesare” and “Conte di Cavour” were built in 1914 and were the first units to be rebuilt in 1933. Work included improvement of artillery from 305 to 320mm caliber, substitution of engines and remodeling of shape. While “Cesare” and “Doria”originally belonged in the same class, differences in refitting was so great, that in WWII they were seen as different classes. These two units were the only ones in service on June 10, 1940, while all others were still in yards. “Cavour” was torpedoed during the British air strike at Taranto in November 1940. Due to the limited capability of the Italian yards, it was decided to postpone repairs so as to focus on the more modern units.” As result, on September 8, 1943, “Cavour” had still not came back in service and considered lost.
|Armament||10 x 320/44mm, 12 x 120/50mm, 8 x 100/47mm, 12 x 37/54mm, 12 x 13.2mm|
|Armor||250mm Verticle 135mm Horizontal|
|Class||Giulio Cesare, Conte di Cavour|
Information Courtesy Lupo Solitario.