Developed from the unsuccessful Ca 109 trainer that had been powered by the Alfa Romeo Lynx engine, the Ca 113 appeared in 1931 as a highly-attractive single-bay biplane intended for the advanced flyer trainer and aerobatic roles. The prototype was powered by a 240 hp Walter Castor radial engine and drove a two-bladed propeller. Modest production followed with this engine before a switch was made to the more powerful Piaggio P.VII C.35 Stella radial engine for improved performance and aerobatic capability in the advanced flyer-training role. Some of these aircraft were impressed into service during WW2 as liaison aircraft.
Ka.B.3 Tchoutchouliga: In 1938, Caproni funded the construction of the Ka.B factory in Bulgaria for the licensed production of Caproni aircraft.
The Bulgarian establishment’s first product was the Tchoutchouliga (trout) that was a multi-role derivative of the Ca 113 powered by either a 260 hp Walter Castor II radial or a 430 hp Piaggio P.VII CD radial engine. Some 50 of these aircraft were delivered to the Bulgarian air force from the spring of 1940 and some were still operational when Bulgaria was overrun by the Soviets in 1944.
|Engine||(1) Piaggio P.VII C.35 Stella radial engine|
|Max Speed||155 mph|
|Max Range||186 miles|
Article by JDG
Wings: London Blitz to Pearl Harbor – CD-ROM (Discovery Channel Multimedia: Wings)
Elke Weale, Combat Aircraft of World War II, Bracken Books, 1985.